Build a solid foundation in HR management skills.
By covering a breadth of practical HR topics, the SHRM Essentials of HR Management provides the knowledge to perform daily tasks. Through this course you will also:
- Review key pieces of federal legislation on sexual harassment, age discrimination and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- Gain insights into employee recruitment and selection while avoiding legal pitfalls.
- Enhance your skills related to total compensation systems, pay increases and incentives, and employee benefits.
- Increase your knowledge of employee orientation, onboarding, professional development, and training.
This course provides important knowledge and skills you can use immediately in your day-to-day job:
- Resource Management
-Gain a clear understanding of the HR function
-Roles and responsibilities
-Important steps and outcomes in the HR planning process
- Employment Law
-Enhance your ability to apply key HR legislation
-Civil Rights Act
-EEOC, Affirmative Action, and elements of the affirmative action plan
-Pregnancy, age and disability legislation
-Many other employee protection laws
- Recruitment and Selection
-Gain important skills for selecting employees
-Recruiting methods and their effectiveness
-Key selection tools
-Adverse impact calculations
- Compensation and Benefits
-Learn the key elements of a total compensation system
-Framework for base pay, incentives, differentials and increases
-Job analysis and documentation
-Methods for job evaluation
-Benefits commonly offered by employers
- Employee Development
-Gain an understanding of orientation, development and training
-Effective adult learning, both on-the-job and off-the-job
-Four levels of evaluation
- Performance Management
-Discover the purpose and process for performance appraisals
-Common appraisal methods and errors
-Legal concepts surrounding the disciplinary process
-Guideline for conducting disciplinary meetings
This program is designed to launch your career and increase your HR effectiveness.
Newly updated with the latest HR developments, the SHRM Essentials of HR Management program combines print materials with online study tools to provide a blended learning experience.
Each SHRM Essentials of HR Management course participant will receive two printed books. The Participant’s Reference Book includes the printed content of the course. It addresses six key human resource management practices, compiled into one comprehensive course book for easy reference.
1. Human Resource Management. Gain a clear understanding of the HR function.
2. Employment Law. Enhance your ability to apply key HR legislation.
3. Recruitment and Selection. Develop important skills for selecting employees.
4. Compensation and Benefits. Learn the key elements of a total compensation system.
5. Employee Development. Obtain an understanding of orientation, development, and training.
6. Performance Management. Discover the purpose and process for performance evaluation.
The Participant’s Activities Book contains copies of the instructor slides with room for notes and application activities.
Web-based study tools and resources
The Web-based tools are designed to support the print materials, provide added opportunities to review and master HR concepts, and gain confidence. The tools are available to all SHRM Essentials of HR Management program participants.
Online Study Tools
- Pre-test to gauge current knowledge.
- Module-specific test for each module to check mastery of key information.
- Post-test to assess learning gain.
- Reports that measure progress.
- Certificate of Achievement awarded to those who pass the post-test with a score of 80% or higher.
- Menu to guide you through the program.
- Glossary of key terms.
- Resource Center that includes additional resources and reference material.
Apply HR concepts
- Threaded case study featuring real-life scenarios to apply concepts learned throughout the course.
You'll learn techniques for handling HR challenges through interactive case studies designed to make you feel comfortable dealing with HR issues. You'll also receive the SHRM® Essentials of HR Management Certificate Program manual consisting of six modules, glossary, and index as well as the Participant's Activities Book. In addition, you'll have the opportunity earn a Certificate of Completion from George Mason University and to earn Continuing Education units (CEUs) for completing this course.
Benefits for employees
Through the SHRM Essentials of HR Management course, participants can:
- Attain knowledge and practical HR skills to effectively approach challenging HR issues.
- Gain expertise in areas of HR management that are broader than the normal scope of your job.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest laws and regulations.
- Increase your on-the-job confidence.
- Utilize the course materials as one comprehensive source of HR information.
- Earn a certificate upon completion.
Benefits for companies
The SHRM Essentials of HR Management course can help companies increase HR knowledge that is critical to overall business success. This program:
- Reduces company's risk of potential high-cost litigation.
- Promotes a consistent understanding of the HR function to non-HR management.
- Offers professional development for divisional or departmental supervisors to ensure HR compliance.
- Develops a common dictionary of HR terms for the entire organization.
- Enhances the importance of the HR function within your company.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Designed as a thorough introduction to HR basics, the SHRM Essentials of HR Management course provides a solid foundation in human resource management that improves HR job performance across multiple job titles and functions.
- New and junior HR practitioners who need to increase their knowledge base.
- Small business owners or office managers who perform the HR function for their company.
- Business managers who want to learn basic HR best practices to avoid costly litigation.
- New or experienced managers interested in learning more about employee management skills.
- Representatives selling or supporting HR systems and services.
- International HR personnel wishing to increase their knowledge of U.S. HR practices.
- Job seekers who are investigating HR as a new career option or want to have HR as a skill for future positions.
CERTIFICATE COMPLETION REQUIEMENTS
To receive a Certificate of Completion from George Mason University and SHRM, 100% attendance and participation are expected from participants.
Back to top
Please click here to download the PDF brochure for the Human Resource Management program.
This brochure and the registration form for this course require Adobe Reader. Click here to download the latest version of Adobe Reader.
Back to top
Please click here for a list of our human resource instructors.
Back to top
“I gained knowledge of the overall HR function which will definitely help me in my current position.”
“Excellent overview and real life examples.”
“Good overview of the different areas of HR- good for entire level HR staff as well as those interested in learning about HR.”
“I hoped to gain more knowledge about HR to apply to my job and this course did that.
“This course helped me gain more of the best practices/procedures that I need in my workplace.”
“Great overview and information course - good precursor to certification (PHR) course.”
“Great course for foundational learning of general HR functions.”
“I would recommend the whole course - it gives a good overview of the HR function without being too overbearing even for a layman.”
“Great class - will have entire staff attend.”
"Great for HR professionals with 0-5 years experience and also managers and supervisors"
"Wish I had taken it a year ago."